I love being able to have “mac and cheese” all while still being vegan! This Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese is gluten free, plant based, and super yummy! Great for the kids and adults alike.
A thick, creamy alternative to macaroni and cheese that is sure to impress even the dairy lovers!
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 Butternut squash, medium
- 1 tbsp Avocado oil
- 1 Yellow onion, small
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp Sage, dry
- 1 tsp Thyme, dry
- 1-2 cups Vegetable broth
- 1 package Elbow noodles, gluten free
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 3 tsp Himalaya pink salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Oregeno
- 1 Handful Parsley, fresh & chopped
- Peel butternut squash, and cut into cubes.
- In large stockpot, heat avocado oil on med-high, and saute onion. Add garlic, sage, and thyme once onion is soft, and saute for about 30 more seconds.
- In same pot, add 1 cup of vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add butternut squash, bring back to a boil, and then reduce heat to med-low.
- Cook butternut squash for about 15 minutes, or until it becomes soft.
- Add all ingredients from pot to high speed blender or food processor and let it cool while you cook noodles.
- In the pot you were previously using, cook noodles according to package.
- Add paprika, sea salt, cumin, and oregano to blender, and blend all ingredients until smooth. (This is where you may want to add more vegetable broth or water if the sauce looks too thick for your liking.)
- Pour sauce over cooked noodles, stir until covering all pasta.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, and enjoy!
If sauce is too thick, slowly add more vegetable broth or water in the blender until you reach desired consistency.